Background of Co-organiser
Founded in 2014, EDiversity is a parent-initiated charity promoting choices in education based on respect of children’s diversity and needs.
In the next 7 years, we evolved from a parent-focused organisation to a full-scale education organisation supporting teachers, students, parents and educators. In 2016, we received funding from the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust to launch the groundbreaking “Learning by Doing” Academy (LBD 1.0, 2016-2019) in a local primary school, bringing experiential learning experience to the students as well as the teachers of the school. In June 2019, our application of a second-round funding from Jockey Club was approved. Another 3-year journey (LBD 2.0, 2019-2021) of fostering a student-centred learning environment for whole-person development at schools was kicked off in September 2019.
Our work has been based on the belief that every child is different and that good education should be diverse, not standardised, to cater for individual needs. It is our mission to transform learning and enable choices through showcasing and experimenting possibilities in education.
Our vision: Happy and fulfilling education for all!
Our mission: Respect diversity. Transform learning.
Jockey Club “Learning by Doing” Academy (LBD) is a 3-year school transformation programme (2019-2021) supported by The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust. The programme aims at building a student-centred learning environment in junior primary years and paving a foundation for more vigorous changes in the upper primary years in future. A total of 14 schools – 3 key schools, 10 partner schools, and 1 ambassadorial school will undergo the school transformation process.
Objective: to establish a cross-curricular, project-based, and student-centred learning platform within the curriculum hours in junior primary years.
- General Studies (GS) will be adopted as the main subject for LBD development and integrate with cross-curricular learning elements.
- Empower principals and teachers with LBD mindsets and skills to nurture students’ self-directed learning abilities and enhance their whole person development.
- Enable principals and teachers to develop cross-curricular experiential modules, student-oriented pedagogies and alternative assessment tools.
- A space and time for students to learn by making and experiencing collaboratively; for teachers to learn to be a facilitator, and to learn and explore together with the students.
- Self-reflection is an important element.
- No grading, homework or exam for LBD sessions. We value the learning process itself and embrace learning from making mistakes.
Experiential Learning experience:
A) Exposure to different kinds of teachers training (students may need to go to different primary schools)
- Background research on worldwide innovative education cases
- Programme evaluation: data collection and entry
- Manage resources data bank
C) Develop and prepare teaching and learning materials
D) Class observation (depends on the COVID-19 situation)
E ) Publicity
1) Video editing and transcription
2) Distribution of EDiversity’s publications (e.g. books packaging and mailing)
3) Assisting in EDiversity events that showcase LBD as a desirable learning strategy
LBD Website: http://lbd.ediversity.org
LBD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LBD.Academy.HK/
LBD Medium: https://medium.com/learning-by-doing-academy
Media Coverage: http://lbd.ediversity.org/media