Background of Co-organiser
Asia Society Hong Kong Center (ASHK) is a locally funded, independent non-government organization which was established in 1990 by a group of Hong Kong community leaders. It is affiliated with Asia Society in New York which was founded in 1956 by John D. Rockefeller III to promote mutual understanding and to strengthen partnerships between Asia and the US in a global context.
ASHK is dedicated to providing educational platforms that present balanced perspectives and promote critical understanding of topics that are relevant to Hong Kong, Asia and the region’s role in the world.
ASHK seeks to provide insights, generate ideas and promote collaboration to address present challenges and create a shared future. Its home is in Admiralty at the former Explosives Magazine of the old Victoria Barracks. Through careful conservation, restoration and adaptive re-use, the heritage site was transformed into a cultural, artistic and intellectual hub in 2012 to offer a broad variety of cultural and education programs to the community.
“The Heritage Classroom” is a newly established community program in ASHK. It aims to provide children (aged 5 to 12) and their parents alternate and innovative opportunities to understand Hong Kong’s heritage scene. A half-day activity will be held in ASHK (Former Explosive Magazine) on a weekend or an on-line program will be developed.
Students are expected to:
- Develop and implement “The Heritage Classroom” activity, from recruitment, program contents, rundown, logistics, etc. The team will carry out the program in an innovative/interactive way. The program format of delivery should thus be different from tradition classroom setting, covering topics not only on heritage, but can be anything that is discovered in this heritage site;
- Carry out the on-line version if needed;
- Lead school/NGOs/public site tours when required;
- Outreach and liaise with community partners (schools, NGOs, parents and kids, social media platforms, etc.); and
- Assist in and support the team in all areas.