Background of Co-organiser
The Amity Foundation (www.amityfoundation.org) is an independent Chinese social organization that supports sustainable development in China and worldwide. Amity Foundation Hong Kong (Amity HK) shares identical visions and missions with its headquarters and is primarily engaged in awareness building, fundraising and advocacy. It provides exposure, exchange and service opportunities to youth in Hong Kong to enhance understanding and cooperation among compassionate and capable world citizens.
The Amity Living Water Campaign was initiated by Amity HK in 2010 to raise public awareness of the global water crisis and encourage tangible actions like sharing of resources to help people in need of clean water and sanitation around the globe.
With guidance from Amity HK’s staff, the recruited intern(s) will design and carry out an online pitching event of fundraising proposals, as the key part of a competition among secondary school students in Hong Kong, to raise awareness and funds to support the Amity Living Water Campaign.
Purposes and Expectations
- To understand the real dynamics and eco-system of local secondary schools through purposeful interaction with teachers, students and other stakeholders of the project.
- To be immersed in the Other Learning Experience (OLE) framework of a specific school and see how the interns’ acquired knowledge could be put to good use when trying to turn the project into constructivist learning opportunities for their students while illuminating hearts of the young people for meaningful causes.
- To familiarize with and be more confident in using the increasingly popular creative media platforms and on-line pedagogical tools, such as Zoom and Teams, that would form important part of the interns’ arsenal in their future career as educators.
- To gain further momentum of the Amity Living Water Campaign by developing a new model of learning among youth in Hong Kong.
Work to Do
Students are expected to:
- reach out to a secondary school for the project;
- design a work plan with a realistic timeline;
- recruit Pitchers and invite Judges;
- draft rules and guidelines and make them known to Pitchers and Judges;
- execute the planned on-line pitching event;
- promote the Project via various media platforms and channels;
- document the project; and
- write reflection journal for reference of other interns/volunteers to start a similar project in the future.