Background of co-organiser
The Parental Support Programme is part of the JC Play N Gain Project sponsored by the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust.
Parents are one of the most important agents to provide training for their children in family context and allow them to generalize the knowledge learnt. Early intervention by parents can more effectively facilitate these children’s play in an inclusive environment. This type of intervention will help prevent socialization problems from becoming worse over time. This project is designed to educate parents, PGDE SEN and ECE Major pre-service teachers as change agents on how best to foster social skills and emotional development of young children through playing face-to-face interactive group games. Weaker social skills and behavioural issues are often barriers to children’s social development. Within this project, we aim at providing training and more intensive support to particular group of parents to equip them with necessarily knowledge and skills.
Through this series of training, parents will learn how to set targets and adopt a combination of the use of behavioural approaches to build up positive social and play behaviours of their children. As a result, the children will benefit developmentally when parents take up the role of the most important trainers during parent-child interaction and play time. A project of similar nature has been run in 2018 and 2019 with huge success and encouraging feedback from the parents and PGDE students.
- Each mentor will be paired up with one parent or the couple of a child.
- Read information about the child.
- Attend 1 mentor training session.
- Attend 5 weekly training sessions together with parents (role play and 1:1 or 1:2 individual support to parents)
- Analyze the videos of parents’ work on weekly basis.
- Give feedback to parents on their skills using Explain Everything Apps
- Set appropriate targets for and with parents.
- 100% attendance is required.