Background of co-organiser
The Vitalita Academy For Life Long Learning under Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui Welfare Council was inaugurated in 1998 to promote elderly education. Cherishing the spirit of “Lifelong Learning” and “Productive Ageing”, the Academy strives to extend learning opportunities for the seniors in Hong Kong.
- Equip the students with updated knowledge and skills so as to strengthen their adaptability to daily living and to achieve total health;
- Enable the students to realize their potential and contribute to the community with what they have learnt so as to lead a meaningful late life;
- Advocate the spirits of “Lifelong Learning” and “Active Ageing”.
- Service Target: Persons aged 50 and above who are interested in further study are welcome to register as students.
- Faculty: The Academy comprises seven Faculties as listed below. Each learning centre will organize a wide variety of courses under different faculties.
- Faculty of Language
- Faculty of Cultural Arts
- Faculty of Religion and Philosophy
- Faculty of Health Management
- Faculty of Music and Dance
- Faculty of Information Technology
“Star Tutor” Seminars
This project has invited famous artists and media professionals to form “Star Tutor Groups”. Seminars of various topics have been organized, in which ‘Star Tutors” share their own expertise with elders. For example, Cantonese opera star Ms. Koi Ming Fai has shared with participants about her life as a Cantonese opera performer. It is expected this project can help to attract young-olds and also raise public awareness on the educational needs for those retired or preparing for retirement.
Duties of interns:
Students can organize a series of workshop in related to the Star Tutor seminar topics as a follow-up and advance activities. This can help to enhance participants’ understanding on these topics and promote continuous learning. Topics include:
- Cantonese Opera history
- Cantonese pop song and local culture
- Fashion industry and economic development
- Travel culture and globalization
- Retirement planning and investment
- Food, nutrition and body
- Enzyme and health
- Daily astronomy and physics
- Beautiful natural scenery and chemistry
Students will take the active role to design the teaching programme, network with guest speakers (if any), arrange field trip, conduct the lessons, etc.