Background of co-organiser
Kids4Kids is a Hong Kong based non-profit organisation developing social awareness and responsibility. It provides platforms that empower kids aged 6-17 years to enact positive change in their community. To date, Kids4Kids has partnered with over 50 schools, 8 corporate groups and 24 organisations and has involved 15,000 students.
More details of Kids4Kids are available at http://kids4kids.org.hk/en.
The Jockey Club Kids4Kids Buddy Reading Programme was established to bring the enjoyment and benefits of storytelling to children who would otherwise not have had the experience at home or school. Within the reading session lasting 1 – 1.5 hours, the children at the community centres and schools get a chance to be read to and take part in fun ice-breaking and learning games during the reading session.
Buddy Reading aims to:
- Enhance literacy development in kids from low-income families;
- Promote reading for pleasure;
- Improve social and communication skills; and
- Increase kids’ confidence in using English in their daily lives and at school.
In the project, students are required to:
- Attend a training workshop organised by Kids4Kids to familiarize them with the aims of Buddy Reading, an understanding of the organisation’s beneficiaries, read aloud and shared reading reading skills (An training fee of HKD100 will be charged by Kids4Kids);
- Work in pairs to conduct minimum 3 reading sessions at partnering centres of Kids4Kids; and
- Plan and design learning activities to be conducted in the reading sessions.