Background of co-organiser
Walk in Hong Kong is a leading cultural enterprise that offers lovingly-designed and well-researched walking tours open to anyone eager to experience the lesser-seen sides of Hong Kong. Their immersive experiences are fun, informative and celebratory of the city’s tales, past and present, in all their gritty, quirky glory. Since their inception in 2013, they have curated memorable experiences for over 5000 participants.
Coming from a variety of professional backgrounds, each of their knowledgeable guides has plenty of personal stories to share about this fair city. Most importantly, they all share a passion to promote the authentic Hong Kong beyond what’s in the usual guidebooks.
The project aims at providing free training for 20 children aged 8 to 13 to become Young Ambassadors for the Central and Western District to showcase the area’s history, culture, and stories. Each Ambassador will attend 3 sessions of walking tours and training in professional public speaking and storytelling from January to May 2019. Equipped with the training, the Ambassadors will showcase their learning by being the docents in a Sai Ying Pun community tour and participating in a Storytelling Competition at the end of the project.
The aims of the project are threefold:
- Raise awareness about the historical and cultural assets in the community through fun and interactive storytelling.
- Develop critical skills in children such as self-confidence, presentation techniques, and and organizational skills.
- Foster parent-children relationship as we encourage parents to support their children in the program and cultivate the sense of belonging and care for the community together that can be passed down the generations.
The training are grouped in the following ways:
|26 Jan 2019||10am-1pm||Central Tour + Workshop I: Elementary Storytelling Training|
|23 Feb 2019||10am- 1pm||Sai Ying Pun Tour ＋Workshop II: Elementary Storytelling Training|
|13 Apr 2019||10am-1pm||Sai Ying Pun Tour＋Workshop III: Storytelling Competition Training|
The tours in the training will be led by Walk in Hong Kong’s professional tour guides. PGDE (part-time) students are expected to:
- Design the interactive activities and prepare the training material.
- Facilitate the training sessions on the day of the delivery.